Monday 30 January 2017

Sad news

It was saddening today to learn, rather belatedly, of the passing of Ron Robinson a few months ago.
He had carried out work for me in repairing a good quality Kelvin Hughes sextant which had been vandalised by a postal courier and I later had no hesitation in asking for his assistance in getting the Sestral steering compass on Annabella back to working order. It is still the best compass on board.
I found him not to be an easy man to get to know although we only had brief dealings, but I think once he was confident that one wasn't a complete waste of time, he softened almost imperceptably
and there was trace of a sense of dry humour. Perhaps it was just me.
Another sextant by the way














"Robinson" was able to draw upon a wealth of expereince and knowledge in a field which is becoming incresingly arcane, and I really now do not know upon whom to call.
Life was much richer for knowing him, even briefly.

No comments:

Post a Comment