Friday 10 October 2014

Arthur Beale

Its very hard to pass through central London without spending some time at Arthur Beale's yacht chandlers on  Shaftsbury Avenue.

I was introduced to AB''s over 20 years ago when I worked nearby, and its refreshing to still find an independent shop in Covent Garden that hasn't been forced out by global trainer outlet or coffee chain.
 *
(Quite) a few years ago I innocently asked the chap behind the counter how they managed to find enough trade, being so far from the coast. He gave me a kind of look and pointed out that they may be quite far from the coast, but they were right in the middle of about 5 million people, some of whom must have boats.

 You can usually rely on AB's having top quality gear and as usual I spent more than I meant-to, but it's balm for the soul as well as good for the boat. Long may they prosper
*
You don't usually look in chandlerys for metaphors, but the significance of the life belt in the window just dawned on me !

No comments:

Post a Comment