Friday 11 July 2014

How to run a chandlery #101

Isn't it interesting how different people take to working in a chandlery ? Even when I'm not sailing, given the opportunity I'll have a good nose around whenever I see a chandlery that's new to me. Mostly people are friendly and helfpul. It woudl be nice to think that this is because they're just super cool, but I expect that they have already worked out that anybody who owns a boat will need to buy expensive boat stuff at fairly regular intervals.

Not so everywhere though. Yesterday, I was passing through one of those small towns on the south coast which likes to think of itself as the 'home of sailing', and called in to one of those chandleries that makes a big thing of advertising on the internet. After a while, no-one helped me.

Some time passed, and then they didn't help me again

At last I was appraached by a chinless wonder who I can only assume was head of public relations:

CW  "Can I help you ?"
Me "Yes, I need three things"
CW "Okay"
Me - working from the cheapest up - "Firstly, I need a pair of stainless hasp and staples"
CW - pulls a face and makes a sort of grunt, so I expect that means they don't have any.
Me "Okay 2nd, I need a rigging gauge"
CW "Do you know what kind of rigging gauge you need - they're all different ..."
This is partially true - 2 different size upto 4mm or 5mm and up 
CW "What kind of boat is it?"
Not - what type of lovely craft are you accustomed to waft around on, Sir ?
Me " a Renown"  
CW "Never heard of it"
Maybe because they stopped making them literally before you were born, sonny.
Me -  now feeling picked upon - "Okay, maybe I won't  bother then"

Pity - item 3 would have been five hundred quid's worth of refrigeration kit, but I guess he'll never know that now...

No comments:

Post a Comment